baby

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Life is Hard When You're 2...

All the unfairness of the world seems to hover over Alex these days. I guess having a brother take his spot as the baby of the family has finally caught up to him. He can't get enough mommy time.

So, on Saturday I took Alex by himself to a gingerbread house making event downtown while Jeremy kept Isaac with him. Alex enjoyed it, and especially enjoyed tasting all the different kinds of candy they had for him to decorate with.

I can't say I enjoyed it as much. We're busy potty training these days. Alex is doing great with it, and tells us when he needs to go. He hardly has any accidents anymore, except when he's actually sitting on the toilet. He can't manage to aim into the toilet. We're not really safe anywhere in the bathroom with him. It's not so bad at home, where he has his fancy little potty seat that sits on the toilet, but public bathrooms are awful with him. It's funny to me that there are so many handicapped bathrooms, but never a toilet sized for a child expect in elementary schools, and the children's museum in Omaha. So, I have to hold him to keep him from falling into the giant adult sized toilet. It's really frustrating. Well, he needed to go while we were downtown, so I took him and held him up over the toilet while he sprayed most of our stall and also managed to aim under the wall and soak the stall next to us as well. His underwear was also soaked from being anywhere in the vicinity of the bathroom. I wasn't too upset about this, I knew he had a change of clothes in the car, but what I wasn't expecting was that when I stood up, my purse was soaked. While I was holding Alex, it was dangling down into the toilet. Yuck Yuck Yuck! By the time we left the stall, we were both covered from head to toe with public toilet water. And then we had to walk through the entire crowded building dripping on the way to the car. Ugh...

The other great inequality in Alex's life is that he often comes into our bedroom to find Isaac in bed with me, as well as Jeremy and our cat. Alex is the only one barred from sharing our room. It's really not fair, is it? How sad to come into a room with your entire family snuggled up together, while you've been sleeping in your own cold room by yourself. So, he's snuck in in the middle of the night a few times this week. We've been too tired from staying up with Isaac to complain. Jeremy even slept in Alex's room with him one night, so perhaps Alex isn't too left out after all.

No comments:

baby growth